Monday 17 August 2009

What lovely local food .....


Jack took a fresh crew on Thursday and Quozzi, as usual she has boundless energy,had a wonderful day on the moor. She takes after her mother ,Molly ,who is such a marvellous hunter and just cant wait to go again.What characters they are.
On Friday I went to Helmsley market calling in at the new fish and chip restaurant and take away as we had heard some very good reports on it. It is called Makins and owned by an extremely friendly Yorkshire lady called Jane Makins who I had a long chat with. Apparently she is a friend of Jacks cousin, Wilma - small world. They were very very good and we will certainly be getting some in the future, a big asset to Helmsley and another place for my guests to go. In the evening Jessica and I went for a drink to the Star and ended up eating there. Well how can we resist the food is divine-It was Andrew Perns 40th birthday so we made room for some very chocolatey birthday cake too. He is a wizard of a chef and lets hope he is still producing meals like what we had in another 40 years time. Most week we get 2 ribs of beef from Perns shop in Helmsley - you just cant beat it and their tomato sausages are on the top of my list too. Saturday night we ate at the White Swan by this time I was still part full from the night before so had a lovely lobster starter while Jack tucked into the duck it is so big if I have it I bring half of it home for the next day!. Sunday well, Sunday is always Yorkshire pudding and home reared roast beef at the farm .My dads potatoes,carrots and lettuce out of the garden and home made mint sauce.