Sunday 18 August 2013

Suzi Quatro eat your heart out....

I think I missed my vocation in life. When I was young, many moons ago, I always admired Suzi Quatro back in the early 70s with Can the Can and Devilgate Drive. On Saturday night as the weather was not that clever we decided to give Castle Howard a miss as it was The Last Night of the Proms. We went to The Grapes at Slingsby instead. Paul Judge was playing . I think he is very famous,but I know him more as Lorraine@s husband who I went to calligraphy classes with. When I saw his chrome 1920 guitar I just knew that was what I should have done . Never too late to start, I picked it up and there I was "not quite a nearly Suzi Quatro. A big thank you to Paul for letting me pick it up and posing with me I think he was more worried I dropped it as it was quite heavy. Lorraine then told me he never let anyone touch it.She had only carried it in a case so I felt very honoured. He is a right good sort of a guy. Jack was happy to stand at the bar and said the beer was on good form. It was nice to catch up with Peter Plaskitt who had bought Bert from Jack and catch up with him. If you are interested in his music and want to buy a CD, visit his website and you can also find out more about him .... Paul Judge has built a reputation as an outstanding musician and skilful songwriter, with an innovative slide guitar style Using an electrified resonator guitar and a small valve amplifier for solo performances, Paul has developed a unique bottleneck style which goes beyond the influences of Elmore James and Ry Cooder to incorporate walking bass lines, jazz chords, false harmonics and right hand tapping His debut solo album, 'Person to Person', produced by Steve Phillips, was released in 1998. Following the release of his second album, 'Love and Hard Work' in 2002, he formed his own band (Paul Judge and the Jackals) to provide a broader backdrop to his incisive song-writing and masterful guitar-playing, but he still enjoys the intimacy and creative freedom of solo performing. Paul has played with top-ranking musicians such as Steve Phillips, Eugene 'Hideaway' Bridges, Johnny Mars, Matt Smith and Steve Fairclough, and has supported Paul Jones, Dave Kelly, Catfish Keith, Michael Roach, Geoff Achison and many others. He is also a highly regarded teacher with many years experience, a former slide columnist for Guitarist magazine and for several years was a member of the teaching faculty for the prestigious International Guitar Foundation (IGF).