Wednesday 2 July 2014

Our Ryedale Rose

I came up with this crazy idea.It turned out not to be so crazy in the end. t I thought wouldn't it be good to have a yellow rose to celebrate Le Tour Yorkshire -the cycling event which will be coming to Yorkshire in a couple of days time. We have the most amazing nurseries in Ryedale. Apart from fruit trees and plants R VRogers of Pickering are rosegrowers. I was lucky enough to have lots of support from a team of people who like me want to keep Ryedale on the map. Craig Nattress works for tourism at Ryedale District Council and took the matter up with David Wilce who is the Chairman of the British Isles Rose Breeders. To cut a long story short the outcome was that on 7th June a rose was named A Rose for Ryedale and you will see me holding the rose which was presented to, I guess the youngest Mayor I have ever come across.Not only is it a rose but it is a yellow rose. Ian Rogers of R V Rogers Roses of Pickering has kindly agreed to support us and is going to grow it at the nursery and you will be able to buy them there. For each rose which is sold £2 will be given to Ryedale Special Needs Families Charity. Next weekend the 12 13th July over 150 rose breeders will gather at Pickering at Rogers Roses and this is open to the public and well worth a visit and it is free entry too .I do hope my Dad will be well enough to go as he loves his roses. I was hoping to buy some this year for his garden but it will be 2015 before they go on sale.