Monday 28 August 2017

Market trader for the day...

Not that I shouted "Roll up ,Roll up".... there was no need  as I stood there with my stall at the first Ampleforth Village Market.

I now have such a lot of respect for these market traders who do it day in and day out. This was a one and only for me . I came up with the idea of having a village market at the White Swan in Ampleforth. After they had won Yorkshire's Favourite Pub out of 700 entries as a friendly family pub I needed to come up with an idea to help other small businesses in Ryedale. I am on the board for the North York Moors Leader project and so very in tune to how a little bit of help is worth a lot of sympathy syndrome . The White Swan was the ideal venue....with a large car park and enthusiastic owners.

The markets are to be held monthly on the last Saturday in the month. The Christmas one being scheduled for the 23rd December.

Annabelle Robinson is taking over the day to day running of the market. Annabelle has had a lot previous first hand experience, coming well recommended. To be honest I just dont have the time .
Annabelle's parents were involved with setting up local farmers markets within the county.  Annabelle became involved and worked alongside her from parents. She therefore had first hand knowledge of the pitfalls and obstacles that can come with running a market. There is a Facebook page, twitter account ,lots of posters to put up, accounts to keep. Also behind the scene things to organise. Insurance policies to check along traders licences too.
I had 4 hours sleep the night before and I am now getting too old to survive on this .

The weather was perfect and I was on site by 7am to set up. I then dashed back to cook breakfasts for my guests .By the time I got back at 9.30am it was a hive of activity ready for the 10am start.

It was supported well and nice to see a lot of locals,




around who stopped for a chat. Many thanked me for coming up with the idea. A great way to spend a Saturday morning. Thanks  to Josh Finn who came along with his guitar and "busked" for us.

There were so many lovely stalls ,stallholders and tempting things to buy. We have a waiting list of stallholders wanting to come next month -30th September.

Thank you to everyone who made this event go so well. I hope it will continue to grow and flourish.