Wednesday 23 June 2010

The countryside around Carr House Farm and ....


A Tribute to Gerald Kilvington who choose to have his ashes scattered near the big stone on our land above Wass Corner so he could look out over his old stomping ground.-Not on the stone as this is where the foxes pee but just near it he told his sons Keith and Paul,but if the sun is shining you can bet it will be shining on the stone and his plaque. A true Yorkshire man through and through. An excellent gamekeeper and first class poacher. A dear friend and sadly missed. I thought he would not have like to been buried in the churchyard but he was too poorly to broach the subject.When we were in church waiting for his funeral to begin I heard him say as clear as day to me "Don't worry lass,I'm alright,I can breathe ,I am free" and that place I saw him was only a few hundred feet from the stone. Believe me or believe me not -I don't care as I know what I experienced. He is around us all the time.On the night of his wake in the White Swan glasses were smashed and a light bulb broke for no reason at all and lots witnessed this. When I went up with Jack to take the last photos, it was coming dusk -a cock pheasant was shouting and in the bottom ground there was a rabbit running around. If Gerald had been alive he would have got that with his rifle and it would have been ready for the pot by now. And never a journey goes by that stone without me looking up to remember this larger than life person with so many tales to tell.It is just a shame that there are not more people like Gerald around.