Wednesday 3 November 2010

The Hare Inn's Cheese Souffle go to town...




The Hare at Scawton have now launched Smithy's Souffles, a pair of individual souffles you can buy in upmarket delis and shops and will soon be hitting the top supermarkets. What a wonderful idea. Geoff has been creating these for a life time making it the signature dish at the Hare. Jan is so enthusiastic about it all, backing him all the way doing a lot of research and marketing this wonderful addition to our shopping basket. It has a shelf life of more than a week and will keep in the freezer too.Ideal to keep and pop in the oven should you have unexpected guests for supper. Breakfast, lunch, tea or dinner for that matter. I had one of mine for breakfast the otter morning . Versatile as an egg but then they are free range eggs and made with mature cheddar cheese. Even a token on the back to redeem at the Hare.
After the other souffle got eaten as well I decided that is what I needed for supper last night I fiddled about for ages making one. It was fine for a hungry soul,rose a treat but I substitute the mature cheddar for Parmesan ,jong Gouda I recently brought back from my trip to the Netherlands and a good helping of Spanish Manchego that was kicking about in the fridge. All I can say with the help of Italy,Holland and Spain to provide the cheese it was not half as tasty as using a good old Cheddar from England. Photos the top souffle being Geoff's and the bottom one mine.