Sunday 3 April 2011

My Mum and her cake ...



Well what could I do but bake a cake for my Mum,Ruby Lupton, for Mothers Day.She didn't want a card as she had kept the one I got her last year with cats on as she liked it so much At 86 she works really hard and is always cooking dinners for all the men folk on the farm.Proper rice puddings -none of this stuff out of tins. She will not have a dishwasher but she have an automatic washing machine.Long gone is the Peggy tub.She is always on the go and never seems to sit down. She gets togged up in the afternoons not in her best going out clothes but in her top coat and wellies to feed the cats and dogs and take the dogs for a walk.Doesn't matter what the weather is like she is out there.Here you see her cutting the cake I made at lunch time after we had had our Sunday lunch -roast beef and Yorkshire puddings of course. Below she is togged up in her warm outdoor clothes.When she was young she used to help her father who was a stone mason.She will tell you of all the old houses in the main street of Ampleforth she has been on the roofs of most of them. She will have carried things up a ladder on a hood on to the roofs when her father was repairing them. When she went to bed tonight I think there would be more in her bed than she bargained for. I sneaked up earlier and put 6 red pears,some comb honey ,a new flannel.some mint imperials and some liquorice sweets. So now she may be sat up in bed and having a midnight feast I doubt it but I know she will be on the phone first thing in the morning -"OH Anna..." and if she sat on the pears and they squashed I might get more than a thank you.