Monday 1 February 2010

Party at the Fauconberg in Coxwold.........


Tonight was the last night of the shooting season party at the Fauconberg in Coxwold. the back bar was full of pickers up and beaters and familiarly faces that play a part in the Newburgh Priory Shoot. Mark and Rob not only threw a Christmas party here, but there was another tonight and I went along to pick Jack up. As soon as I got there,Rob Easton the head gamekeeper came up to me and it was "Help yourself to some food Anna" -The food for those who have never sampled it I must tell you is some of the tastiest around. The beef was delicious, slices for men not for mice sandwiches -how I hate sandwiches with thin fillings , and sausages with bacon wrapped round them were excellent -not just piddling little bite sized ones but whole sausages with bacon curled all the way down. There was a host of food-all very fresh and obviously locally produced and top quality -the portions are always very generous at the Fauconberg. To the side was a stack of sweet goodies and a nice touch of some plainer biscuits.After one piece of millionaires shortbread which was very much home made and exceding rich just how I like it- I had to move away as I knew I would have continued to have just one more piece and ...
I was surprised to see how full the front lounge bar was for a Monday night and there was quite a few tables eating in the dining room -which I am told has been recently decorated so I popped my head round the door to have a look in.It is well supported by local faces which is always a good sign, Someone we hadnt seen for a while and who was a face from tv fame,Jack tried to sell a Labrador to. That farmer still hasnt found himself a wife -Tut tut! I had to take this photo of the dog asleep in the chair as I though he just added to the atmosphere . What a lovely country life feel this pub has. The publican and his family have worked very hard to create a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. This should be on your 2010 list of places to visit. I have heard wonderful reports of the Burns night supper which was more of a feast with 6 courses than a supper. So not to miss out our names will be down in good time for next year Burns night celebrations. I think there is quite a bit of interesting stuff going on in the coming months at the Fauconberg I will try to keep you informed before it happens or else give them a ring on 01347 868214. Whoever answews to phone I can honestly say they are always very friendly and helpful and will accommodate hungry mouths if they have a table free.