Saturday 13 February 2016

London too ....

Going to business meetings in London has its perks too.  We happened to go when Chinatown was all dressed up for its New Year.  Susan and I were on a mission,it was to find the Opium Den ... ok so I got the name wrong it was the Opium Cocktail and Dim Sum Bar -no 16 Gerrard Street. So when you don't know, I was always told to ask a policeman . His eyes nearly popped out of his head when I did so but he didn't know either. Susan said I had a lucky escape from spending the night in the Tower of London -now that may have been interesting. A burly doorman filled the door way and the only clue to where it was -a brass name plate on the door. -OPIUM . Some people where been turned away but we were lucky .they always say it is who you know not what you know. We ascending into.. darkness a black staircase lit only by red candles and the heavy scent of incense filled the air.  There were flights and flights on spiraling staircases. We were led to a private dining area called Peony. All I can say is it was amazing. Cocktails and dumplings what a combination.  Although Jack is very much a beer drinker I think he would have been in his glory here. I can see another trip in the offing... but decided to give Stringfellows a miss it didnt quite fit the image in daylight.