Wednesday 30 March 2011

A visit to Scarborough Castle




On kind invitation from English Heritage the S.H.A [Scarborough Hoteliers Ass]and organised by Alison Barnes many members went along to a coffee morning. I am sure everyone had a good time despite the rain.Here you see Alison Barnes who is the hard working Secretary of the SHA and Mrs Brenda Frank braving the rain. For me it was interesting to look around the museum. I saw a canon ball which had a strange resemblance to the "dinosaur egg" which I use as a door stop. My dad unearthed it many years ago when he was ploughing. It made me think when Byland Abbey was under attack in the days of Oliver Cromwell in the Dissolution of the Monasteries. My Dinosaur egg could well be a canon ball !!Shame we haven't had a resident canon -think what fun we could be having...No trip of Scarborough would be complete without the sighting of a seagull or two. Looks as if this pair were having a difference of opinion. I did enjoy the visit and Pat at the office is very helpful being very generous with tastings of wine as well as information. if you think to visit here while staying with us we have the added benefit of a reduction in the entry fee.