Wednesday 21 September 2011

Yummy Cherry and Almond cake


We had a Herriots Yorkshire meeting last night at the Arts Centre in Thirsk. Organised by Ian Ashton, it was well attended with David Shields from Welcome to Yorkshire ,Sam who does a sterling job with our website and David Crocker "Mr Train" who helps us enormously with our running costs in printing etc, who is the marketing manager for Grand Central Rail.It was good to catch up with old friends and new faces. Jessica Barker has just won a gold award with her 5 star Thief Hole cottages there- I have sat round the Barkers "uncles" table from being a child.Admired this family-of show jumping fame- who lent me my first pony. I think she is a whirlwind how she works so hard with her cottages and has 2 small children and still looks a million dollars.Lady Mary Furness from Stanhow Farmhouse who I have known for 20 years plus and runs self catering was to my left. A remarkable horsewoman who often had to choose between going to a meeting and riding with the hounds.To my right was Annette of 4 in a bed TV fame a relative newcomer to the bed and breakfast business. What she lacks in years she puts forward in enthusiasm. Dear friend Alison, behind me who has the watermill at Crakehall and her "miller" was in tow. What a friendly do it was. To top it off we had the most delicious cakes as ever.