Tuesday 30 October 2012

A day out with Yorkshire Food Finder [part 1]

A kind invite from Sue and Aidan Nelson via Vikki Harris brought me to the Pipe and Glass to start the day with a delicious sausage sandwich - I should say 4 sausages and in very soft bun made for a very good start. This more than made up for the terrible foggy ride I had going across the Wolds at break neck speed so not to be late. More on the Pipe and Glass later.Our first stop was the Wold Top Brewery at Wold Newton. We were given a talk by the new owner,Tom Mellor. We looked down on the stainless steel vat and inhaled the rather warming smell of brewing beer.It was the brainchild of my dear friend,Katrina Gray who with husband Derek
had set up the brewery. Katrina who is never afraid of hard work told me how she had varnished all the woodwork after Derek had made a brilliant job of making this sky high walk way round. There was even chocolate flavoured hops. We were kindly given a bottle to bring home. I choose Fisherman's reward and gave it to my Dad. We had a magnificent lunch that had been prepared by James Mackenzie -all Yorkshire produce which was first class seen here with our generous host Aidan.