Monday 30 March 2020

Wild Garlic and Coronavirus

As we all adjust to isolating ourselves, this will be my 4th week of only going out when there was no other way, my mind goes into overdrive of what can I do today . I must add my cousin admitted yesterday she thought I was mad when I moaned at her 2 weeks ago for taking the train from Scarborough to York to meet some friends for lunch .In fact I was quite cross with her ..there was simply no need I said to her. I think she is thinking a bit different about me now .

We are surrounded by wild garlic ...acres of the b... stuff and it stinks when it rains . It encroaches on the garden and  I have always classed it as a weed. Guests would in previous years comment on it . Chefs rave about it ,people go crazy for it ..the equivalent attraction as cat to catnip.
Then I thought garlic is supposed to be good for you ..when I google it I came up with all positive things so now every day I go out into the woods and pick a  basket full ,and then I am drying it .
The house stinks of it and every night as Jack goes to bed early I dry some on top of the Jotul log burner and the rest is in the Aga . If this Coronavirus attempts to get into our house I am going to give it a good



run for its money . I am not giving up easily.

  • Garlic was (and still is) believed to protect against wreckage and drowning, leading sailors to take cloves on deck.
  • Throughout Europe, garlic was historically placed in the home to keep out all forms of evil, and in particular it was hung above the doorway to ward off the evil eye.
  • Wearing garlic about the person was believed to protect against inclement weather, monsters and enemy attack.
  • Biting into garlic could repel evil spirits, and it was frequently placed beneath children’s pillows to protect them in their sleep.
  • Brides carried cloves of garlic in their pockets to bring them luck and keep ill fortune at bay, and rubbing garlic onto pots and pans before use was supposed to remove mystical negativity which may otherwise have contaminated the food.
  • Garlic was also a key ingredient in traditional spells designed to ward off ailments such as hepatitis.